Whether it’s for business or pleasure, many people have to leave their homes to travel from time to time. And while you’re gone, keeping your home secure is the key to preventing break-ins. According to government statistics, there are approximately 2.2 million home burglaries each year, which amounts to a break in every 15 seconds. And unoccupied homes are prime targets. So how can you prevent your home from being targeted?
- Lights, lights, lights. A well-lit property is no friend to a burglar. Install flood lights around your home to keep it illuminated. Timers and motion sensors, along with energy-efficient LED bulbs can reduce the costs lighting up your property.
- Replace or add locks. If your window latches are old and flimsy, consider upgrading to newer ones. Likewise, consider replacing door locks or adding a deadbolt.
- Hold the mail. If you’re going to be gone for more than a day or two, have the post office hold your mail. You can schedule the stop/start dates online at usps.com. The same goes for your newspaper. Simply call and have it held.
- Lights on timers. Put interior lights on timers and have them turn off and on at random times, through the night. This will create the illusion that your house is occupied.
- Get a house sitter. If you are really concerned, simply ask a friend to stay at your home while you are gone. At the very least, have them check on the place each day.
- Install cameras where they can be seen. Burglars hate cameras, so if they are prominently placed around the outside of your home, then they will be a good deterrent.
By following these tips you can help reduce the chance of a break in and by preventing break-ins in the first place, your insurance rates won’t change. That is to say, if you have a break in and it’s discovered that it was caused by an easy-to-fix situation (like a lack of lighting around your house), then your rates could possibly go up.
To learn more about securing your home, contact your independent Provident Insurance agent. We serve Plainfield, Greenwood, Avon, Brownsburg, Indianapolis, Carmel, Zionsville and the entire central Indiana area. Stop in one of our convenient locations to discuss your insurance needs today.