What is covered in my homeowner’s policy?

The answer to this question varies. The best way to address this is ask your agent. They will outline all your coverage with you. But in general, most homeowner’s insurance covers these categories:

  • Coverage for the structure of your home.
  • Coverage for your personal belongings.
  • Liability protection.
  • Additional living expenses in the event you are temporarily unable to live in your home because of a fire or other insured disaster.

1. The structure of your house

This part of your policy pays to repair or rebuild your home if it is damaged or destroyed by fire, hurricane, hail, lightning or other disaster listed in your policy. Most standard policies also cover structures that are detached from your home such as a garage, tool shed or gazebo. If you need more coverage, talk to your insurance agent about your needs.

2. Your personal belongings

Your furniture, clothes, electronics and other personal items are covered if they are stolen or destroyed by fire, hurricane or other insured disaster. Coverage varies and many policies have limits for specific items such as jewelry and computers. The best way to determine if this is enough coverage is to conduct a home inventory.

3. Liability protection

Liability covers you against lawsuits for bodily injury or property damage that you or family members cause to other people. It also pays for damage caused by your pets. So, if your son, daughter or dog accidentally does damage to your neighbor’s property, you are covered. However, if they destroy your property, you are not covered.

4. Additional living expenses

This pays the additional costs of living away from home if you cannot live there due to damage from a fire, storm or other insured disaster. It covers hotel bills, restaurant meals and other expenses, over and above your customary living expenses, incurred while your home is being rebuilt.

Again, the best way to know what is covered is to ask your agent. Provide them with a list of questions about all your property to ensure it is covered.

To learn more, contact your independent Provident Insurance agent. We serve Plainfield, Greenwood, Avon, Brownsburg, Indianapolis, Carmel, Zionsville and the entire central Indiana area. Stop in one of our convenient locations to discuss your insurance needs today.